Wednesday 4 March 2009

Creative Transport

While I wait for Skye to do the next entry on Hue (a little like watching paint dry), I thought I would do a quick one with images sporting all the creative transportation that happens here very day. One can spend many hours watching all the crazy wheels in motion with astounding weight in transit.

The mix of old and new is one thing I love about Vietnam. One really still can see the world of years gone by and the modern interspersed. In many ways it looks like the Thailand I saw 20 years ago. I like seeing the traditional clothes and all the amazing ways people transport their wares to market everyday. It is really prominent if one wakes up early in the morning and watches the city come alive.

What sticks out more than anything is how hard people work everyday to move their wares to market. I even saw a women this morning on a bicycle laden with huge quantities of song birds in cages. It was quite the sight. Sadly I missed the photo since I was so blown away by the spectacle.
Here are some shots to take in:










































































































I threw in the one of Pippin and Skye since transporting the tourists is a very profitable occupation here. Our cyclo rider today was 74 years of age and he merrily biked Kai and I all over the city. He was a war veteran from both the French and the American war. He told us a lot about how Hue was the site of a three week house to house battle between the VC and the Americans which resulted in many deaths and lots of suffering. He was very proud of his time spent fighting the invading forces.
Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment